The U.S. Embassy’s Public Affairs Section has set aside funds for the Alumni Small Grants Program specifically designated for use by past participants of U.S. Government (USG)-sponsored exchange programs. (See below for list of USG-sponsored exchange programs.) The Alumni Small Grants Program allows our alumni to leverage their experience in the U.S. to develop ideas and implement projects on how to give back to their home community, or to Serbian society more generally. These projects will allow alumni to showcase their leadership and organizational skills, their creativity and innovative approaches to solving problems, and their ability to network and work with allies to achieve their goals.
Program Themes: The Embassy is seeking applications focusing specifically on the themes below. Under some Program Themes, we are including ideas about what your project could do, but you do not need to limit yourself to these. Feel free to come up with your own creative concepts for approaches and activities that relate to the Program Theme.
- ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS / PROTECTING THE WORLD AROUND US. Promoting awareness about environmental issues and our responsibilities as global citizens, including through education, experiential learning, and community projects.
- PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES. Expanding opportunities for Persons With Disabilities (PWDs) in Serbian society (e.g., in education, business and the workplace, government, civil society, the media, sports, the arts, etc.), advocating for their equal rights, sharing stories about the successes of the PWDs in Serbian society, breaking down stereotypes, and/or devising solutions to help the disabled overcoming remaining challenges to greater participation in society.
- GENDER-FOCUSED PROGRAMS. Promoting gender equality, female entrepreneurship, and women’s empowerment, as well as combating gender-based violence.
- TOLERANCE & HUMAN RIGHTS. Promoting tolerance of and equality for other vulnerable populations — including ethnic and religious minorities, members of the LGBT community, refugees and migrants, victims of human trafficking, etc. – and/or countering violent extremism and radicalism in Serbia and the region.
- RULE OF LAW / ANTI-CORRUPTION. Promoting rule of law, legal reform, and transparency in government, and combating corruption, in the workplace, in education, in the delivery of healthcare, in the legal system, in government offices, etc.
- CIVIC PARTICIPATION / YOUTH LEADERSHIP. Promoting participation by Serbian citizens in public debate over policy issues, engagement with government officials and bodies, coming up with solutions to local problems, etc.
- STABILITY, PEACE, & CROSS-BORDER COOPERATION. Supporting conflict resolution efforts within Serbia and within the region, seeking reconciliation, promoting mutual understanding, and promoting cross-border cooperation and communication to solve common problems.
- INSTITUTIONAL CAPACITY-BUILDING. Capacity-building efforts focused on the strengthening of civil society organizations, media outlets, and educational institutions.
- FIGHTING BRAIN DRAIN. Promoting entrepreneurship and innovation, developing Serbia’s market economy, expanding local jobs opportunities, and figuring out creative ways to keep young people employed and thriving in Serbia.
- MEDIA LITERACY & CRITICAL THINKING. Promoting media literacy and critical thinking, especially among students and young professionals. This could include learning through simulations and role playing, academic competitions and projects, etc.
In order to submit your application please read detailed instructions: Alumni Notice of Funding Opportunity 2021. All necessary forms and documents are listed and available for download on the right hand side of this page. Applications, inquiries and all other questions should be sent to BelgradeAlumni@state.gov