An official website of the United States government

Consular Reports of Birth Abroad

Information For Applicants

If you are a U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born outside of the United States, you will need to document your child’s U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).

At least one parent and the child must be present at the Embassy to submit the application. The following documents must be presented at the time of the CRBA application:

Supporting Documents

  • Child’s Birth Certificate (original in Serbian and certified English translation).
  • Parents’ marriage certificate if applicable (original in Serbian and certified English translation).
  • Evidence of termination of any previous marriages if applicable (copy of divorce decree in Serbian and a certified English translation).
  • American Citizen Parent(s)’ evidence of U.S. Citizenship (U.S. passport or naturalization certificate, original).
  • American Citizen Parent’s documentary evidence of physical presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth. For examples of acceptable proof of physical presence, please click here.


To request an appointment:

Once you have all of your documents ready, you must email the completed forms to us at BelgradeCRBA@state.gov. following the instructions below:

  • Attach required documents.
  • Request an appointment date.