An official website of the United States government

Foreign Agricultural Service
January 1, 2020

The Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS) is part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). We provide information to buyers looking for U.S. agricultural genetics, bulk and processed commodities, food, and beverage products.  We also gather market intelligence and offer market briefs to help U.S. firms better understand the local market.  FAS offers some capacity building and other agricultural technical assistance programs, as well as provides technical expertise in international agricultural policy and trade discussions (i.e. food security, sustainability and climate change).

FAS can help you find U.S. agricultural product suppliers and register your company as a foreign buyer of U.S. products.

Products Information

Meat, Poultry And Eggs

Plants, Animals And Animals Products

Processed Foods And Beverage

Seafood, Fish And Fishery Products

Alcohol And Beverages

Animal Feed And Veterinary Drugs

Trade Shows

The FAS office in the U.S. Embassy-Belgrade can arrange appointments for interested companies with the US agricultural suppliers participating in the attached trade shows.

Agricultural, Production, Trade And Marketing Reports

General Guidance On How To Export U.S. Agricultural Products

Market Cooperation

You can work closely with various U.S. associations engaged in development of markets for specific U.S. products.

The U.S. Agricultural Export Development Council maintains a listing of all its member associations, including those without offices in Europe, on this website. This page contains contact information for U.S. agricultural associations with offices in Europe.

Almond Board of California
Miki Lentin
c/o Ketchum
35-41 Folgate Street
London, E1 6BX
Tel: 020 7611 3628
Fax: 020 7611 3501
E-mail: miki.lentin@ketchumcomms.co.uk

Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute
Nelly Masson
58, rue Pottier
78150 Le Chesnay
Tel: (33-1) 39 23 2007
Fax: (33-1) 39 23 2017
E-mail: nellymasson@compuserve.com
Web site: www.alaskaseafood.org

American Hardwood Export Council
David Venables
3 St. Michaels Alley
London EC3V 9DS United Kingdom
Tel: 44 20 7626 4111
Fax: 44 20 7626 4222
E-mail: david.venables@ahec.co.uk
Web site: www.ahec.org
American Hardwood Export Council
National Peanut Council of America
Dr. Muth PR GmbH & Co. KG
Oberstrae 14
20144 Hamburg
Tel.: (+49-40) 429 2400 Fax: (+49-40) 422 7787

American Peanut Council
Louise McKerchar
Grosvenor Gardens House
35-37 Grosvenor Gardens
London, SW1W 0BS
Tel: 020 7828 0838
Fax: 020 7828 0839
E-mail: llmckerchar@peanutsusa.org.uk

California Pistachio Commission
George Smith
Suite 96
3rd Floor
London Fruit Exchange
Brushfield Street, London, E1 6EP
Tel: 020 7247 2264
Fax: 020 7247 3983
E-mail: midsummerint@aol.com

California Prune Board
Mark Dorman or Esther Rollason
The Old Chapel
41 Main Street
Surrey GU1 2 RH
Tel: 01858 469 666
Fax: 01858 469 333
E-mail: cpbeurope@btinternet.com

National Dry Bean Council
Neil Gordon
22 Daymer Gardens
HA5 2 HP
Tel: 020 8429 0819
Fax: 020 8429 0819
E-mail: nmgconsult@aol.com

Raisin Administrative Committee
Ian Walker
Empire House
175 Piccadilly
London W1V 9DB
Tel: 020 7491 8544
Fax: 020 7491 8644
E-mail: ian@raisins.demon.co.uk

The Popcorn Board
mk2 gmbh
Hinter Hoben 13
53129 Bonn
Tel: +44 228 943 787 0
Fax: +44 228 943 787 0
E-mail: info@mk-2.com
Web site: www.mk-2.com
general web site: www.popcorn.org
in Czech Rep.: www.popcorn.cz

USA Rice Federation
Beatrix Balsiger
Landwehrstrasse 87
D-80336 Munchen
Tel: 49 89 5432 9988
Fax: 49 89 5432 9991
E-mail: beatrix@hh.usarice.com

U.S. Meat Federation
Jackie Hruby
18 St. Mary’s Street
Wallingford, Oxfordshire
United Kingdom
Tel: 44 1491 833 776
Fax: 44 1491 833 747
E-mail: eu@usmef.org
Web site: www.usmef.org

U.S. Wheat Associates
Hofplein 33
3011 AJ Rotterdam
Tel.: (+31-10) 413-9155 Fax: (+31-10) 433-0438
E-mail: uswheat@euronet.nl
Web site: www.uswheat.org

Wine Institute of California
Prins Bernhardlaan 10
Postbus 208
2400 AE Alphen o/d Rijn
Tel.: (+31-172) 471571 Fax: (+31-172) 475545
e-mail: webmaster@wineinstitute.org

Useful Contact Information

Regional European Offices

APHIS Vienna
Monika Oellerer, Administrative Assistant
Boltzmanngasse 16
A-1090 Vienna
Tel: 43 131 339 2950
fax: 43 131 93287
e-mail: monica.oellerer@aphis.usda.gov

U.S. Meat Export Federation, Europe/Brussels
18/24 rue des Colonies
1000 Brusseles
Tel: 32 2 514 1506
Fax: 32 2 503 2984
e-mail: eu@usmef.org

USAPEEC, Stockholm
Lisa Sandblom, Consultant Europe
cell: 46 703 822100
tel: 46 877 62 427
fax: 46 877 63 136
Email: lsandblom@mac.comusapeec-eu@telia.com

Cooperation & Development

The mission of the International Cooperation and Development (ICD) area of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Foreign Agricultural Service is to enhance the competitiveness of U.S. agriculture and preserve natural resource systems, while pursuing sustainable economic development worldwide by mobilizing the resources of USDA and its affiliates.

ICD is the strategic center within USDA responsible for coordinating, supporting, and delivering a diversified program of international cooperation and development.

ICD programs heighten U.S. agriculture’s competitiveness by providing links to world resources and by building a spirit of cooperation and goodwill that serves U.S. agriculture well. Through these linkages, the U.S. agricultural sector gains access to emerging technologies and a wider array of genetic material, which can be crucial to creating new-and improving existing-agricultural products, practices, and markets. These international partnerships are the germinating seeds that can produce a rich and diverse harvest of scientific advances and business ventures.

ICD helps increase income and food availability in developing nations by linking the technical expertise of the U.S. agricultural community with those nations. This cooperative effort helps developing nations surmount the barriers of hunger and poverty and build more stable economies.

As industrialized nations have become saturated with goods and services, investors have begun to explore developing nations as markets for fresh and expanded business ventures. Nations moving from low- to middle-income status now offer the brightest prospects for U.S. agricultural products, a trend that is likely to continue. So it is in the best interests of the United States to foster economic growth, strong diplomatic ties, and durable trade relationships in these nations.

Programs of Mutual Benefit

ICD develops its programs in collaboration with and to serve other USDA agencies, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), other public and private institutions, foreign nations, development banks, and the university community. ICD relies on the talent and expertise available in these organizations to help carry out the following programs:

Scientific Cooperation: The Scientific Cooperation Program promotes and supports international cooperation in agriculture and forestry to attain mutual benefit through a variety of projects. Short-term visits between U.S. and foreign scientists promote the transfer of agricultural data, genetic and biological material, and technology. This exchange of information, materials, and techniques is invaluable to the improvement of crops, forestry products, and livestock on a global scale. U.S. scientists may submit proposals for exchanges with any country where benefits to U.S. agriculture may accrue. Through long-term projects, U.S. and foreign scientists work to solve high-priority agricultural problems, such as animal and plant diseases.

Natural Resources and Environment: ICD provides a complete range of natural resource management and environmental technical assistance to organizations and institutions in developing and developed countries. This type of assistance includes needs assessments, project design and development, monitoring and impact assessment, and human resource development. In addition, ICD has access to one of the world’s largest, most experienced pools of natural resource and environmental expertise in the areas of soil science, forestry, watershed management, integrated pest management, livestock and range management, irrigation and drainage, global climate change, biodiversity, ecology, and environmental impact assistance.

International Organizations: ICD advances and protects U.S. agricultural interests by keeping U.S. policy views before the international community through multilateral organizations like the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. Doing so keeps U.S. agricultural interests in the forefront of discussions as international organizations develop programs and policies that can affect U.S. agriculture.

Technical Assistance: Sponsored by such international donor institutions as USAID, the World Bank, the regional development banks, the United Nations, and private organizations, technical assistance programs are designed to increase income and food consumption in developing countries, help mitigate famine and disasters, and help maintain or enhance the natural resource base. Technical expertise is provided in areas like food processing and distribution, plant and animal protection and quarantine, soil and water conservation, and forest management.

Professional Development and Training: Career-related training for foreign agriculturalists provides long-term benefits to economic development, magnifying potential because those who learn teach others.

In the Cochran Fellowship Program, senior and mid-level specialists and administrators from middle-income countries and emerging markets are exposed to U.S. expertise, goods, and services to promote broad-based development that is mutually beneficial to continued scientific, professional, and trade relationships.

Technical training courses are taught by USDA or U.S. university staff in the United States or overseas. These courses are practical and can be adapted to meet specific needs of foreign agriculturalists in a variety of areas such as agribusiness, extension education, natural resources, policy and economics, and human resource development. Observational study programs and on-the-job training, provide opportunities for foreign agriculturalists to increase their potential for economic development.
ICD assists other governments and international development organizations by arranging U.S. academic and nondegree programs.

Trade and Investment Missions: ICD promotes a vital, healthy private agricultural sector at home and abroad by organizing marketing workshops, in-country technical team visits, and trade missions that link U.S. and foreign entrepreneurs and help them expand business and trade opportunities.

Information: The Agribusiness Information Center provides in-depth information that U.S. and foreign investors need. Data on import and export regulations, commodity grades and standards, and financing are available. This information can mean the difference between success and failure in a business venture.

The Center for Information, Research, and Analysis (CIRA) receives inquiries from individuals working with USAID in developing countries and emerging markets worldwide. Materials furnished by the CIRA staff are obtained from USDA and other sources worldwide and provide accurate information for production, marketing, business, and policy decisions.

Disaster Assistance/Famine Mitigation: In collaboration with USAID’s Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance, ICD manages a disaster assistance program and famine mitigation activities. The disaster assistance program helps people respond to natural disasters such as drought, forest fires, floods, landslides, and earthquakes. Famine mitigation activities involve a broad spectrum of USDA, university, and private sector resources to assist USAID missions in developing strategies to alleviate the onset of food insecurity situations.

ICD Links University/Government/Private Sector Expertise

Through ICD, USDA agencies share their technical expertise in a number of areas with the U.S. and international communities:

  • Agricultural Libraries
  • Agricultural Marketing
  • Agricultural Research
  • Agricultural Statistics
  • Animal and Plant Health Inspection
  • Communication
  • Economic Research
  • Food and Consumer Services
  • Food Safety and Inspection
  • Forestry
  • Grain Inspection
  • Information Resources Management
  • Natural Resources Conservation
  • Research, Education, and Extension
  • Rural Housing and Community Development
  • Rural Utilities
  • World Agricultural Outlook

ICD also helps international organizations and other nations link with the U.S. university system, the private sector, and other U.S. Government agencies, like the Food and Drug Administration or the Environmental Protection Agency.


While some of ICD’s collaborative programs are financed by Congressional appropriations, most development activities are funded through reimbursable agreements with USAID, other USDA and U.S. Government agencies, U.S. universities, the private and public sectors, development banks, international organizations, and foreign governments.

For more information about ICD programs and activities, contact:

International Cooperation and Development
Foreign Agricultural Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Room 3008-South Building
AgStop 1081
Washington, DC 20250-1081
Tel. (202) 690-0776
Fax. (202) 720-6103

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or family status. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD). To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 14th and Independence Avenue, SW, Washington DC 20250-9410 or call (202) 720-5964 (voice or TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Cochran Fellowships


  1. Wine Production and Marketing
    Through this Cochran Program we would to take a delegation of importers, producers, government officials and producers to the U.S. and work on increasing local demand for U.S. wine to facilitate increased exports but also  build Serbia’s capacity (certification, inspection, custom clearance). Serbia is currently looking to import and produce high-end wines due to significant development of the restaurant and tourism sectors and increase in local demand. FAS Belgrade’s strategy is to educate the sector about U.S. wine and to use the program to introduce U.S. wine production technologies and lay the groundwork to enter the market. For more information about the program please download the Cochran Program brochure. To apply please download the application here. Deadline for submission is January 18, 2019.
  2. Agricultural Irrigation Technologies
    This program should provide an overview of U.S. agricultural irrigation systems, conservation issues and environmental impact.  A persistent drought over the last several years affected a number of farmers and lowered their production, thus investing in irrigation and introducing to the new seed varieties seems to be very desirable to reduce production risks and prevent losses.  Only about 7-10 percent of agriculture land is actually irrigated in Serbia.  The objective is to assist Serbia to improve its irrigation system and reduce farmers vulnerability related to the drought, but also to present U.S. irrigation  solutions and technologies and to open a market for U.S. seed companies and companies dealing with irrigation equipment. For more information about the program please download the Cochran Program brochure. To apply please download the application here. Deadline for submission is January 18, 2019.

Bringing/Sending Food and Alcohol to the U.S.

If you are a private individual who wishes to send beverage and food items to the U.S., you should be aware that some items are highly restricted, particularly food items with meat products, including soup mixes, bullion, sausages, tinned meats, etc., and fresh produce. As a general rule, candies, condiments, spices, coffee and teas that are commercially packaged are ok, however bulk teas or spices, etc. are subject to inspection and if they are found to have insects, they may be seized and destroyed.

Food that is sent to an individual in the U.S. for personal use (i.e. not for resale) by a business is subject to special requirements of the Food and Drug Administration.

Businesses that send goods to the U.S. must file prior notice. (please refer to this website). A prior notice may be filed on-line if the goods are being sent through the postal service. (Foods sent from an individual to an individual for personal use or as a bona fide gift are not subject to the Prior Notice requirement). When filing prior notice, you will be asked to provide the following:

  • The identity of the article, which includes the FDA product code (if known), common name, trade or brand name, quantity, etc.
  • The manufacturer, shipper, or growers’ name and address, e-mail address, telephone and fax number (if known).
  • The country from which the article originates and is shipped or mailed.
  • Additional information may be required if the goods are intended for commercial use in the United States.
  • When businesses file prior notice for a mail shipment, they will be given a PN satisfied number. If the goods are going to be sent via mail, the PN number should be provided at the time of mailing.
  • If the goods are being sent via rail or air, prior notice must be filed and satisfied 4-hours prior to the goods arrival in the U.S. If the goods are being sent via vessel, prior notice must be filed and satisfied 8-hours prior to the goods arrival in the U.S. Prior notice can be submitted via the FDA Web Portal at http://www.access.fda.gov/
  • To find out if your goods are exempt from the prior notice please visit the FDA website.
  • For additional information on the Bio-Terrorism Preparedness and Response Act regulations and prior notice requirements, please contact the Food and Drug Administration 1-800-216-7331, if outside the U.S. call (301) 575-0156

What about taking food with me to the U.S.?

U.S. Department of Agriculture has strict regulations concerning the importation into the United States of food and agricultural products. Imported foods are also subject to FDA requirements and may be seized upon inspection if, in the opinion of the FDA, they pose a health risk of any kind. Please check the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for additional information.

If you are not sure, if you can bring a certain product, the Animal Plant Health Inspection Service of the Department of Agriculture will be able to assist you. http://www.aphis.usda.gov.

In general many fruits and vegetables are either prohibited from entering the United States or require an import permit (for commercial importers) or a phytosanitary certificate from the country of origin. Every fruit or vegetable must be declared to a Customs Border Patrol Officer and must be presented for inspection – no matter how free of pests it appears to be. Failure to declare food products can result in a $10,000 fine.

Meats, livestock, poultry, and their products are either prohibited or restricted from entering the United States, depending on the animal disease condition in the country of origin. Fresh meat is generally prohibited from most countries. Canned, cured, or dried meat is severely restricted from some countries.

Bakery items, candy, chocolate, and cured cheese are generally admissible. Canned goods and goods in vacuum packed jars (other than those containing meat or poultry products) are also generally admissible if being imported for personal use.

Dairy items such as milk, yogurt, butter are generally admissible, although this is subject to change, depending on disease outbreaks. Eggs may be admissible, although frequent outbreaks of Exotic Newcastles Disease and avian flu make it very likely that they will be denied entry. Hard cured cheese such as parmesan or cheddar are generally admissible, soft cheeses such as brie and soft curd cheese and cheese in water(ricotta, feta, etc.) are not.

Fish, if it is for your personal use, is generally admissible.

Condiments such as oil, vinegar, mustard, catsup, pickles, syrup, honey, jelly, jam, etc., are generally admissible.

Other then the above general guidelines, it is impossible to advise you in this forum about the admissibility of specific food items because it is so susceptible to change. Disease and pest outbreaks, which impact the admissibility status of fresh and packaged food items, occur all over the world at a moments notice.

Failure to declare all food products can result in civil penalties.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture establishes criteria for the admissibility of plant, dairy and meat products returning with travelers and they have the final say about what may be admitted into the U.S. Please refer to the USDA website for more information http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usdahome.

Can I bring back alcohol back to the United States for my personal use or as a gift?

Generally, one liter per person may be entered into the U.S. duty-free by travelers who are 21 or older. Additional quantities may be entered, although they will be subject to duty and IRS taxes.

Duty is generally 3% of value and the IRS excise tax is generally between 21-31cents per 750ml bottle of wine, 67 cents/champagne, and $2.14/ hard liquor.

It is illegal for travelers under the age of 21 to import alcohol – even as a gift.

The total amount of alcohol you may enter the country with is primarily determined by the laws of the state where you will arrive back into the U.S. Each State sets the amount of alcohol a person may bring in without a license or permit from that state. Travelers must check with the individual States.

There is no federal limit on the amount of alcohol a traveler may import into the U.S. for personal use, however, large quantities might raise the suspicion that the importation is for commercial purposes.

Duty rates on alcoholic beverages can be obtained in Chapter 22, “Beverages, Spirits and Vinegar,” in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule.

Alcoholic beverages purchased in duty free shops are subject to duty when you bring them with you into the United States.

You are not permitted to ship alcoholic beverages by mail to the United States per U.S. postal laws.

How do I import food to the U.S. (canned goods, meat, vegetables, fruits, bulk foods, etc.) for resale?

If you are interested in importing food for commercial purposes, you may want to consult with a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) import specialist at the U.S. port of entry through which you intend to import. The import specialist can let you know what is required, which varies depending on the type of food, the country of origin of the food, as well as whether or not there are quota or other restrictions on what you want to import. http://www.cbp.gov

As an importer, you have the option of hiring a Customs house broker to file your entry with CBP, or you can do it yourself – although there are so many details to handle when importing food items, we strongly advise using a broker. To obtain a list of brokers, please refer to this website.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) determines the admissibility of food being imported into the United States and CBP enforces those laws. All commercial imports of food and beverage products require the filing of Prior Notice (please see above) with FDA, and foreign manufacturers and/or distributers of food products must register with the FDA before their goods may be admitted.

(These requirements DO NOT apply to food accompanying a traveler into the U.S. or being sent by an individual – not a business – for personal use.)

CBP will not release food shipments without proof that prior notice has been filed with FDA. Therefore, it is imperative that the PN satisfied number is submitted to CBP along with the entry documents. The PN satisfied number should be annotated on the shipping documents (i.e. bill of lading or airway bill).

For additional information on the Bio-Terrorism Preparedness and Response Act regulations and assistance with filing prior notice, please contact the Food and Drug Administration 1-800-216-7331, if outside the U.S. call (301) 575-0156.

In addition to the prior notice requirement, once the goods arrive in the U.S., FDA may collect a sample or tell Customs Border Patrol to proceed with releasing the shipment. If a sample is in violation of FDA regulations, you will receive a Notice of Detention from FDA. To find out the status of food that has been detained by FDA, call the number referenced on the detention notice.

If the product you wish to import is a plant or farm animal product, you should consult with the U.S. Department of Agriculture at http://www.usda.gov.

To inquire about the admissibility of meats, livestock, poultry and their products intended for resale, contact the Food Safety and Inspection Service, Import Division, http://www.aphis.usda.gov.

For fruits, and vegetables contact the Plant division of APHIS http://www.aphis.usda.gov.

Baked goods, seafood, canned and packaged goods, candy and chocolate, etc. must be labeled with country of origin, ingredients, and nutrition information.


The listing of U.S. and EU information and hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the Department of Agriculture of the linked web sites, or the information, products or services contained therein. Unless otherwise specified, the Department of Agriculture does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. All information and links are provided with the intent of meeting the mission of the Department of Agriculture’s Foreign Agricultural Service.

Contact Information

Phone: +381 (11) 706 4403; 706 4158
E-mail: AgBelgrade@usda.gov

Tatjana Maslac
Agriculture Specialist

Nadezda Dimitrijevic
Admin/MKTG Assistant