Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Belgrade, Serbia (March 20, 2020)
Event: As of March 20, the Serbian Ministry of Health announced 118 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Serbia.
The government of Serbia has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. As of March 20, all airports in Serbia are closed to international commercial air traffic. All road, rail, and water border crossings are closed, with the exception of cargo. Intercity bus and rail service is suspended. A curfew is in place nationwide every night from 8:00 p.m. through 5:00 a.m., the curfew may increase in coming days. People age 65 and older (age 70 and older in rural areas) are prohibited from leaving their homes at all. Travelers should be prepared for further restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit the website of the Government of Serbiafor additional information on these new measures.
Effective March 16, U.S. Embassy Belgrade has suspended routine consular services. Emergency American Citizens Services including emergency passport issuance continue to be available. Please visit our website for additional information.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Warning for COVID-19 in Europe advising travelers to avoid non-essential travel to Europe.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Serbia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restriction to the U.S.
- Seek medical care right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks.
- Embassy Belgrade, Serbia
- +381 (11) 706-4000 (24 hours)
- Embassy website