Event: As of April 12, the Serbian Ministry of Health announced 3630 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Serbia.
The U.S. Embassy announced on April 4 an evacuation flight that departed Belgrade on April 8 for Washington-Dulles. We do not know of any other flights that might depart for the United States at this time. If you want to be notified of another flight should one become available, please fill out the evacuation interest form at rs.usembassy.gov/evacform. Please fill out the form separately for each member of your family or group, and fill it out only once per person. If you filled out our prior evacuation form, please fill out this new version too (once per person), as the questions have been updated.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to enroll in our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts, and check our Embassy COVID-19 webpage for updated information as it is released.
The government of Serbia has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19:
- All airports and borders remain closed, except for cargo.
- A curfew is in place nationwide from 5:00 p.m. through 5:00 a.m. on weekdays and on weekends from 5:00 p.m. on Friday through 5:00 a.m. on Monday. The curfew may be extended for the upcoming Serbian Orthodox Easter weekend, if so we will publish updated information here. Dogs may be walked every day between 11:00 p.m and 1:00 a.m. and on Saturday and Sunday between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. for a period of 20 minutes, within 200 meters of your home, by a maximum of two people together.
- All people who entered the country on March 14 or later must self-quarantine for 28 days.
- All public transportation is suspended. Taxis and private vehicles are still permitted.
- All restaurants, cafes, and shopping malls are closed, though take-out and delivery are still permitted. Supermarkets and pharmacies remain open, though with reduced hours to accommodate the curfew.
- Green markets are closed, as are barber shops, hair and beauty salons, casinos, and betting establishments.
- All parks, playgrounds, and other public recreational areas and sports facilities are closed.
- Gatherings of more than two people are banned, with the exception of parents with underaged children.
- A maximum of one person for every 4 square meters of space is allowed indoors.
- People age 65 and older (70 and older in rural areas) are prohibited from leaving their homes, except for Friday morning between 4:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. to purchase supplies. The day for people over age 65 to buy supplies may change if the curfew is extended during Serbian Orthodox Easter weekend. If so, we will update that information here.
Travelers should be prepared for further restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit the website of the Government of Serbia for additional information on these new measures.
Effective March 16, U.S. Embassy Belgrade has suspended routine consular services. Emergency American Citizens Services including emergency passport issuance continue to be available. Please visit our website for additional information.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Warning for COVID-19 advising travelers to avoid non-essential travel.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Serbia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restriction to the U.S.
- Seek medical care right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks.
- Embassy Belgrade, Serbia
+381 (11) 706-4000 (24 hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Serbia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter