An official website of the United States government


American diplomatic and consular officers cannot perform marriages. Marriage is a function reserved solely to the State, and is beyond the authority of American diplomatic and consular officers who are federal officials. In general, marriages which are legally performed and valid abroad are also valid in the United States. The Attorney General of the state or states in the U.S., of domicile of the parties to the marriage is the proper authority to respond to inquiries with respect to the validity of marriages abroad.

Where to Go

The law in the Republic of Serbia recognizes only civil marriages. Application for marriage is made at a municipal registrar’s office in the city where you wish to marry. The marriage ceremony will take place two to three days after all documents have been submitted.

Documents to be submitted:

  1. Valid U.S. passport as a proof of U.S. citizenship;
  2. Birth Certificate. You should submit your original birth certificate. The birth certificate must be notarized with the “Apostille” seal under the terms of the Hague Convention. The seal can only be obtained from the state of birth in the U.S. The birth certificate must be translated by a court interpreter. The interpreter will affix his/her official seal on the translated copy;
  3. Statement that he or she is free to marry. This statement is made in front of the United States Consular Officer in Belgrade.  You must schedule an appointment in advance and bring your U.S. passport, the name of your future spouse, your address, and the names of any previous spouses as well as the date of divorce or dissolution of the marriage.  The fee for this notarial service is US $50.00 payable in U.S. dollars, Serbian dinar, or with a major credit card;
  4. Certificate issued by U.S. Consular Officer that the marriage contracted in the Republic of Serbia will be valid in the United States;
  5. Proof of termination of any previous marriages (divorce decree or death certificate). This document must also be translated to Serbian;

Documents under 3 and 4, after being notarized by the consular officer, are taken to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) for the final notarization. The MFA address is Kneza Miloša 24-26 in Belgrade, walk-in service, Monday-Friday 9:00am-3:00pm.

Marriage Certificate

The marriage is recorded in the civil Registry. A Serbian marriage certificate will be issued. One version will be in Serbian and the other in so-called international form (which includes English). In order to use a Serbian public document in the U.S., it must be certified with an Apostille under the terms of the Hague Convention.