March 10, 2016
U.S. Embassy Belgrade, Serbia
Serbia has announced a state of emergency in fourteen municipalities in southwestern Serbia because of flooding and heavy rains. Floods or threats of floods are most serious in the cities and municipalities of Čačak, Novi Pazar, Kraljevo, Arilje, Lučani, Topola, Požega, Bajina Bašta, Ivanjica, Raška, Ljig, Rača, and parts of the Municipalities of Kosjerić (Seča Reka, Godečevo, Makovište), and Prijepolje (Aljinovići, Pravoševa, Milošev Do, Stranjani, Milakovići, Kamena Gora, Mataruge, Jabuka and Babine).
Road closures, power outages, and water outages are possible in these areas. U.S. citizens living in or planning to visit southwestern Serbia should check road conditions before traveling and have a contingency plan in case of utility outages, evacuations, or transportation disruptions. Always keep concerned family members up-to-date and follow government instructions regarding evacuations.
The Serbian Government has established a 24-hour information hotline at the following numbers and email address:
+ 381 11 312 0741
+ 381 11 312 0739
+ 381 11 312 9939
+ 381 11 312 0742
+ 381 11 312 0646
Information about road closures is available at the Serbian Road website in Serbian only. The 24-hour hotline for information on road conditions can be reached at:
+381 11 3040 655
+381 11 3040 666
+381 64 861 7117
Free mobile call 112
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Serbia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Serbia, located at Bulevar kneza Aleksandra Karadordevica 92, at +381 (11) 706-4000, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is also +381 (11) 706-4000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.