he U.S. Embassy in Belgrade informs U.S. citizens that on Thursday, February 23, at 7:00pm, Red Star will play Galatasaray (Turkey) at Aleksandar Nikolic Hall in Belgrade. Due to past incidents of violence involving supporters of the teams, there is a potential for violence before, during, and after the game. Expect police activity throughout Belgrade on Thursday, especially near the arena. Embassy personnel are generally advised to avoid the vicinity of high-profile sporting events.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Serbia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Serbia, located at Bulevar kneza Aleksandra Karadordevica 92, at +381 (11) 706-4000, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is also +381 (11) 706-4000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.