U.S. citizens residing in or visiting Serbia should remain vigilant regarding their personal security and be alert to local security developments.
Please follow these good personal security practices:
- Avoid crowds or large gatherings when traveling in public;
- Know where you are going and have a plan of what to do in the event you encounter demonstrations or violence;
- Identify safe areas (for example police stations, hospitals, government buildings) in your area and how to get to them quickly;
- Tell co-workers or neighbors where you’re going and when you intend to return;
- Minimize your profile while in public;
- Always carry a cell phone and make sure you have emergency numbers pre-programmed into your phone. The emergency and after-hours number for the U.S. Embassy is 381-11-706-4000. The emergency number for Police is 192, for Fire 193, and for Paramedics 194.
- Be prepared to postpone or cancel activities for personal safety concerns;
- Report concerns you may have to the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
U.S. citizens should review the Department of State’s Worldwide Caution, last updated on January 9, 2015.
We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Serbia enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) at www.Travel.State.Gov. STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact. U.S. citizens without Internet access may enroll directly with the U.S. Embassy in Belgrade.
Regularly monitor the State Department’s website, where you can find current Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Worldwide Caution. Read the Country Specific Information for Serbia. For additional information, refer to the “Traveler’s Checklist” on the State Department’s website.
Contact the U.S. embassy or consulate for up-to-date information on travel restrictions. You can also call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). Follow us on Twitter and Facebook to have travel information at your fingertips.
The U.S. Embassy in Belgrade is located at Bulevar kneza Aleksandra Karadjordjevica 92. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance outside business hours, the emergency after-hours number for the U.S. Embassy is 381-11-706-4000