Location: Belgrade, Serbia
There will be an anti-government protest tomorrow, Saturday, January 5th, from 6:00PM to 8:00PM in the city center. Similar protests have taken place weekly since December 7 on Saturdays at the same time. The police expect the turnout this week will be lower than previous weeks due to the Serbian Orthodox Christmas holiday, but are still expecting approximately 6-7,000 participants. The weekly protest has to date been without incident, but some streets have been closed to accommodate marchers, causing traffic jams in the area.
We remind all U.S. citizens in Serbia that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid demonstrations if possible and always exercise caution in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy Belgrade, Serbia
+381 (11) 706-4000
+381 (11) 706-4000 (emergency after hours)
- State Department — Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Serbia Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook