Embassy Belgrade informs U.S. citizens that the nationalist organization Zavetnici announced it will hold a protest on Sunday, March 27, 2016, at 2:00 p.m. at Republic Square in downtown Belgrade. Zavetnici described the protest as directed against the Serbian government and Serbia–NATO cooperation. U.S. citizens should note the protest’s location and proximity to the pedestrian area of Knez Mihailova. Following the protest, organizers plan to proceed to the Radio Television of Serbia (RTS) building located at Takovska 10. There is no official estimate of the number of expected event participants.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Serbia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Serbia, located at Bulevar kneza Aleksandra Karadordevica 92, at +381 (11) 706-4000, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is also +381 (11) 706-4000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.