Embassy Belgrade informs U.S. citizens that the Serbian Radical Party (SRS) has announced that it will lead a protest on Thursday, March 24, 2016, at 5:00 p.m. at Republic Square in downtown Belgrade. Republic Square is close to the pedestrian area of Knez Mihailova. The SRS has described the protest as directed against the current Serbian government, NATO, and the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia. There is no official estimate of the number of expected participants.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Serbia enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
Regularly monitor the State Department’s website, where you can find current Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Worldwide Caution. Read the Country Specific Information for Serbia. For additional information, refer to the “Traveler’s Checklist” on the State Department’s website.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Serbia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Serbia, located at Bulevar kneza Aleksandra Karadordevica 92, at +381 (11) 706-4000, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is also +381 (11) 706-4000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.