Ask a COVID-19 Question
UPDATED: May 23, 2020 11 a.m.
Enroll in STEP to Receive Alerts
U.S. citizens are encouraged to enroll in our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts. For those who already registered, If you’re still in Serbia, please update your account and check your dates as the registration automatically expires based on the dates you previously entered. You will not receive updates after that date.
Country Specific Information
Beginning June 1, the Embassy will resume offering appointments for U.S. passports, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, and notarial services. Please check our U.S. Citizen Services page regularly for information about how to schedule an appointment. Customers will be required to bring and wear a mask while at the Embassy, arrive on-time for their appointments, and be completely prepared for their appointment, including having all required forms filled out.
- As of May 22, 2020 at 3 p.m Serbia has confirmed 11,024 cases of COVID-19 and 237 deaths.
- Air Serbia announced limited regular passenger air traffic from May 21st with five flights per week from Belgrade to Frankfurt and Zurich.
- The government of Serbia announced that as of May 22 all COVID-19 related entry restrictions are lifted for both Serbian and foreign citizens. It is no longer necessary to have a negative PCR test or special permit to enter Serbia. The government of Serbia also abolished self-isolation requirements upon entry. Travelers should be prepared for restrictions to change with little or no advance notice. Visit the website of the Government of Serbia for additional information on these measures.
- There are no restrictions on movement for residents of all ages, but everyone is strongly advised to respect the social distancing measures when outside, avoid large crowds, maintain the distance of at least 6.6 ft from others, respect the limitations on public gatherings and use disinfectants and personal protection like gloves and face masks.
- Subject to social distancing measures and certain restrictions proposed by the Serbian Government the following are reopened:
- Retail stores, shopping malls and small business like groceries, car mechanics, beauty salons, barbershops, and farmer’s markets
- Gyms and fitness centers, parks and public areas intended for recreation and sports
- Cafes and restaurants
- Intercity, urban and suburban bus and rail public transportation
- Gambling facilities and casinos that operate in objects not larger then 400 sq. meters
- Kindergartens and preschool facilities
- Senior care centers, schools and universities remain closed until further notice.
- Public gatherings are limited to maximum 20 people.
- U.S. Embassy Belgrade has suspended routine consular services as of March 16. Emergency American Citizens Services including emergency passport issuance continue to be available.
- Please visit the Serbian Government’s COVID-19 information page for additional information.
- The U.S. Embassy in Serbia has coordinated two charter flights. First one departed on March 26 from Belgrade to Los Angeles with 64 U.S. citizens on board and the second one on April 8 from Belgrade to Washington D.C. with 178 U.S. citizens on board. We do not expect there to be any more flights from Serbia to the United States until regular commercial service resumes.
- For U.S. travel restrictions please see the latest Presidential Proclamation *U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents are not subject to the U.S. travel restrictions.
- Visitors and residents should be prepared for additional restrictions on movement to be put in to effect with little or no advanced notice.
- State Department Travel Information
- Serbia Travel Information on travel.state.gov
- View U.S. Embassy Serbia Most Recent Alerts here
- The Serbian Ministry of Health established an emergency hotline for individuals who have symptoms or believe they may have come in contact with the virus: +381(64) 8945235. Numbers for Institutes of Public Health outside Belgrade can be found here.
- The Ministry also has a web page dedicated to COVID-19 in English and in Serbian.
- All community hospitals and medical care centers through Serbia have opened COVID-19 clinics with dedicated phone numbers that can be found here. Cell phone number are reachable 24/7.