Ask a COVID-19 Question
UPDATED: Jun 29 2020 3 p.m.
Enroll in STEP to Receive Alerts
U.S. citizens are encouraged to enroll in our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts. For those who already registered, If you’re still in Serbia, please update your account and check your dates as the registration automatically expires based on the dates you previously entered. You will not receive updates after that date.
Country Specific Information
As of June 30, in the city of Belgrade, wearing masks is mandatory for everyone using public transportation and in all indoor spaces, without exception. Epidemiological situation across Serbia is rapidly changing and new measures can be adopted at any time.
U.S. Embassy Belgrade is open for all American Citizen Services, by appointment. Routine visa services remain suspended. Please visit our visas web page for more information.
- As of Jun 29, 2020 at 3 p.m Serbia has confirmed:
- 242 new cases of COVID-19 registered in the past 24 hours
- 14,288 cases of COVID-19 registered in total
- 274 deaths as a result of COVID-19
- 12,581 people have recovered after being registered with COVID-19
- 1,433 registered active cases of COVID-19
- As of Jun 23, Serbian Government COVID-19 Crisis Team recommended 7 new measures to the Serbian Government:
- COVID 19 tests will be performed also by private laboratories
- Use of face masks is compulsory in public transport
- Wearing masks indoor is recommended and strongly recommended in banks, post offices, any public institution …
- Mandatory prescribed square meters per person indoors (offices, shops, public institutions, restaurants…): every man or woman indoors must have 3 square meters of space (for example max. 10 people per 30 m2)
- Visits to patients at hospitals is banned
- 15 min max. visits to elderly homes
- Distance between people outdoors extended from 1m to 1.5m
- National air carrier is maintaining a limited regular passenger air traffic. Information about their services and flight schedule can be found on their website.
- All COVID-19 related entry restrictions are lifted for both Serbian and foreign citizens. It is no longer necessary to have a negative PCR test or special permit to enter Serbia. The government of Serbia also abolished self-isolation requirements upon entry. Travelers should be prepared for restrictions to change with little or no advance notice.Visit the website of the Government of Serbia for additional information on these measures.
- There are no restrictions on movement for residents of all ages, but everyone is strongly advised to respect the social distancing measures when outside, maintain the distance of at least 6.6 ft from others, respect the limitations on outdoor public gatherings and use disinfectants and personal protection like gloves and face masks. In some cities, like Belgrade, these measures are mandatory as of Jun 30.
- Outdoor public gatherings are not limited
- Subject to social distancing measures and certain restrictions proposed by the Serbian Government the following are reopened:
- Retail stores, shopping malls and small business like groceries, car mechanics, beauty salons, barbershops, and farmer’s markets
- Gyms and fitness centers, parks and public areas intended for recreation and sports
- Cafes and restaurants
- Intercity, urban and suburban bus and rail public transportation
- Gambling facilities and casinos that operate in objects not larger then 400 sq. meters
- Kindergartens and preschool facilities
- Senior care centers, schools and universities remain closed until further notice.
- Please visit the Serbian Government’s COVID-19 information page for additional information.
- For U.S. travel restrictions please see this Presidential Proclamation *U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents are not subject to the U.S. travel restrictions.
- View U.S. Embassy Serbia Most Recent Alerts here
- The Serbian Ministry of Health established an emergency hotline for individuals who have symptoms or believe they may have come in contact with the virus: +381(64) 8945235. Numbers for Institutes of Public Health outside Belgrade can be found here.
- The Ministry also has a web page dedicated to COVID-19 in English and in Serbian.
- All community hospitals and medical care centers through Serbia have opened COVID-19 clinics with dedicated phone numbers that can be found here. Cell phone number are reachable 24/7.