Report Birth Abroad

Applying for a CRBA

Parents seeking to obtain a CRBA for a child must be able to demonstrate to the interviewing consular officer that:

  1. At least one of the parents is a U.S. citizen
  2. The child is the biological child of the U.S. citizen parent(s)
  3. If only one of the parents is a U.S. citizen, the U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the United States prior to the birth of the child; if both parents are U.S. citizens, at least one of them must have resided in the United States prior to the child’s birth. The period of physical presence in the United States required to transmit citizenship to a child born abroad varies depending on the date of birth of the child and the marital status of the parents. Further details are listed below.

You must submit the following documentation:

  1. Form DS-2029 Application for Report of Birth Abroad (PDF 50KB).
  2. Original or Certified Copy of the Serbian Birth Certificate for the child. A provisional copy cannot be accepted.  Foreign documents must include a certified translation if not written in English, unless they are on the international form.  If your child was born in another country outside the United States, please contact us at before applying.
  3. Proof of Parent’s U.S. citizenship, at the time of birth, for one or both parents: U.S. Passport (valid or expired); original U.S. birth certificate; or original Certificate of Naturalization.
  4. Proof of both Parents’ Identity: Passport, Driver’s license, State ID card, School ID, National ID Card.
  5. Proof of parent’s marital status – original or certified copy of marriage certificate, if married.  Marriage certificates and divorce or death certificates from any previous marriages.  (Photocopies acceptable.)  Foreign documents must include a certified translation if not written in English, unless they are on the international form.
  6. If unmarried and the child’s father is the U.S. citizen, evidence of parents’ relationship at the time of conception  (social media, personal letters and cards, dated photographs, telephone bills).
  7. Proof of parent’s physical presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth:
    • If one parent is a U.S. citizen, the U.S. citizen parent must prove at least five years of physical presence in the United States, at least two of which are after the age of fourteen.  The period of physical presence need not be continuous.
    • If both parents are U.S. citizens and married at the time of the child’s birth, and one parent has visited the United States at least once, proof of physical presence is not required.
    • Presence must be demonstrated with concrete evidence (school records, tax forms with W-2, earnings statement, pay receipts, passport stamps).
  8. If the parents are not married and the father is a U.S. citizen, the father must complete page 3, Part B, of the DS-2029 form and must sign the acknowledgement of paternity and agreement to provide financial support in front of a consular officer.  If the father is not present when the application is submitted, he may also complete Form DS-5507 Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence, and Support (PDF 35.3 KB) is required for an applicant born to an unmarried U.S. citizen father.

Application fee of $100, payable in U.S. dollars, Serbian dinars, or with a major credit card at the Consular section at the time of your appointment.

The child and both parents must appear in person.

Make an appointment to submit your application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

We recommend that parents apply for their child’s U.S. passport along with the CRBA. The standard passport requirements and fees apply to this service.  Please find detailed information regarding first passport applications on the passport tab on the left of the page.

Citizenship determination is among the most complex services provided by the Embassy, and it is impossible to detail all potential cases in the space available. The above is summarized information only to make applicants aware of the general nature of the documentary proof required. Consular staff may request additional information or documents not specifically mentioned above depending upon the case.

If you have any questions or concerns, or believe that your situation is complicated, we recommend that you contact the American Citizen Services (ACS) unit at  For Emergency Services or Special Appointments, please call +381 11 706 4000.

Third party attendance at Passport and CRBA appointment interviews

Additional information is available on the State Department’s website.