Frequently Asked Questions For U.S. Citizens

Do U.S. citizens require visas to visit Serbia?
U.S. citizens do not require visas to visit Serbia as tourists for up to 90 days within a six month period. Visit the Embassy of Serbia’s website for the most current visa information.

Is Serbia safe to travel to?
Please see the Department of State’s international travel page for Serbia.

Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, I have been in Serbia for longer than 90 days. What should I do?
Commercial flights have resumed and you should plan to depart Serbia. Alternatively, U.S. citizens may apply for an extension of their stay through MUP (the Ministry of Interior) Police Administration for the City of Belgrade, Administration for Foreigners, located at 35 Savska Street. Applications are accepted Monday through Friday, between 08:00 and 13:00. Appointments can also be made at the Police Department for the City of Belgrade, Administration for Foreigners at the following email address:, or by calling +381/11 3618 972. Extensions of stay may be granted up to 90 days.

I am a U.S. citizen who will soon be traveling back to the United States. How will my international travel and the COVID-19 pandemic affect my arrival to the United States? Will I need to go into self-quarantine?
U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents may travel back to the United States at any time. Entry into the United States is regulated by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), a federal law-enforcement agency within the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Please visit and for official government-wide information and for health-related updates about COVID-19.  Visit for homeland security updates and FEMA’s website to distinguish between rumors and facts regarding the response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

In regards to self-quarantining upon arrival to the United States, please refer to the recommendations or requirements set by the state or local government of your final destination. Please also see the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website for recommendations.

I read about the European Union (EU) ban on U.S. travelers because of COVID-19 concerns. How does this affect Serbia, or my flight to/from Serbia?
Serbia is not a member of the EU and there are currently no restrictions for U.S. citizens to enter Serbia. Please keep in mind that this situation could change due to the unpredictable nature of the COVID-19 pandemic in Serbia and the surrounding region. For up to date information on Serbia, please review our latest travel alerts.

In regards to travel in or through any EU countries and airports, we suggest you contact the American Citizen Services units at the U.S. Embassies in those countries, for the most up to date information. We also recommend contacting your airline, or the airline you are considering booking your travel with.

How do I attain vital records from the United States?
Please visit Where to Write for Vital Records to learn how to obtain vital records from each state in the U.S.

How can I renew my U.S. driver’s license?
The U.S. Embassy does not perform or assist with the renewal of U.S. driver’s licenses. If you wish to get forms and/or information from your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles, you may visit to find a link to the local DMV website.

I need to have a document notarized. Do you have a Notary Public?
U.S. Consular Officers may notarize documents (acknowledge signatures) for use in the U.S., but the Embassy does not legalize documents (apostilles). Notarial services are available by appointment only. For more information and to make an appointment, visit our appointment page.

How can I attain a free to marry statement?
Before you can get married in Serbia, the local authorities require that you make a statement before a U.S. consular officer swearing that you are legally eligible to marry. The fee for notarization of this statement is $50, and payable in U.S. dollars, Serbian dinars, or with a major credit card. You must schedule an appointment in advance and bring your U.S. passport, the name of your future spouse, your address, and the names of any previous spouses as well as the date of divorce or dissolution of the marriage(s).

What is the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)?
STEP is a free online enrollment program by the U.S. Department of State that allows U.S. citizens to input foreign trip and residence information. Through this enrollment you will receive updates on safety conditions in the country in which you are traveling or living, and the Department of State and the Embassy can use this enrollment to assist you in case of an emergency.

Visit the STEP site for more information on the program and to enroll.

My passport was stolen or misplaced and I have immediate travel plans. What do I do?
If your passport was stolen or misplaced and you have immediate travel plans, the American Citizen Services unit may be able to issue you an emergency passport.  Please refer to our Stolen/Lost Passports page for more information.

I am a U.S. citizen and want to know if I am eligible for an economic impact payment of $1,200?
The IRS administers this program.  See the IRS website for eligibility and disbursement details.

Can the U.S. Embassy make certified copies of documents required by the Social Security Administration?
You should begin by contacting the Federal Benefits Unit in Athens, Greece, for SSA services and questions: Federal Benefits Unit, American Embassy, 91 Vasilisis Sophias Avenue, 101 60 Athens, Greece.

The Embassy here in Belgrade can make certified copies of documents requested by SSA. This is a no-fee service. Once you receive guidance from FBU-Athens about your application for SSN or federal benefits, please schedule an appointment. Please bring original documents. You also need to bring a clear black-and-white photocopy of each document. We do not provide photocopies at the U.S. Embassy.